Thursday, June 7, 2012

{Book Review} BLACK DAWN by Rachel Caine


Release Date: May 1, 2012
Publisher: NAL
Format: Hardback, 367 pages
Genre: YA Paranormal, Adventure, Romance
Series: Morganville Vampires, #12
Source: Bough from Walmart.
Buy: Barnes and Noble | Amazon

Rating: 4.5 stars


The hotly-anticipated twelfth instalment in the Morganville Vampires series 

In Last Breath, the rain brought a new and dire threat to Morganville and its vampires... their ancient enemies, the draug. Now, the vampires are fighting a losing war, and it will fall to the residents of the Glass House: Michael, Eve, Shane and Claire, to take the fight to an enemy who threatens to destroy the town, forever.


Lovers of Morganville, rejoice: Black Dawn takes the intrigue, romance and nail-biting suspense of the series to its highest level yet!
Ahhh, Rachel Caine. You cease to entertain me. :) I think that the Morganville Vampires will forever be one of my top ten favorite YA series'. And Black Dawn just adds more to the suspense and thrilling experience to the story of MV! As always, can't wait for the next installment. <3

Plot wise. You know how ongoing books that have more than nine or eight intallments in the series; they seems to have a different plot to each one. But BD continues from what was left off in Last Breath. Which kind of surprised me, since in each of MV's books there's a little different story to each one. In BD's case, there's the newly introduced Draug. Basically zombie-ghost like creatures that are most harmful in water (rain, puddles, lakes, etc.) I kind of have an idea of what they might look like, since there are Draug(r) in Skyrim, the game. So Rachel took an interesting turn in the world of Morganville. :) And I love it. Couldn't get much better than that for the series!

Character wise. As always, my favorite character will forever be Myrnin. I love his crazy science-y ways. And his protection for Claire. Which she seems not to appreciate since she's all about Shane. I like Claire, but at some times when she's about to flip out, it's just like she doesn't think at all. Which, is understandable. But in the situation you have like with her and her friends, you have to think critically before you act. And Shane's also okay, but I felt sorry for him in this more than anything. Because of the "dream" he had while the Draug had him. Claire having his baby, them getting married, etc. Eve and Michael just need to be in love and just...stay that way. And Eve needs to get it through her THICK skull that Michael is a vamp, and will always be a vamp, and he will to vampy things. :/ I hate Oliver, Amelie, and Naomi. Lol, just to put it bluntly.

The cover impressions I had: it's very pretty in my opinion. I'm used to the fact that on every MV book, it doesn't matter who's perspective it's in, it's always the opposite character on the book. xD And that's of course, Eve. She's on a lot of MV books including with Claire, and to be honest, I don't like it. I want to see MYRNIN. And Shane and Michael. Gawd.

The only thing that I truly didn't like about this book is the multiple POVS. It got seriously frustrating when you're just getting used to one person's POV, then it switches abruptly to another. There was a place for everybody in there. Oliver, Naomi, Eve, Michael, Shane. Ugh. It was messy.

Aside from that, I'm very excited to see how the next MV book will turn out! I can't wait; mostly because BD left off in a cliffhanger. >:c

No comments:

Post a Comment