Thursday, June 28, 2012

{eARC Review} Defiance by C.J. Redwine


Expected Publication: August 28th 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: Hardcover, 416 page
Genre: YA High Fantasy, Romance
Series: Defiance, #1
Source: Received eARC from Edelweiss
Pre-Order: Barnes and Noble | Amazon
Rating: 5/5 stars


Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
This story follows the female protagonist, Rachel Adams, in the city of Baalboden--where every women at the age of seventeen must have a "Protector", to go with her everywhere and...well...protect her--she gets some troubling and devastating news that her father has not come home from a courier mission. Refusing to believe that he's dead, Rachel sets out on an adventure beyond the "Wall" surrounding Baalboden and into the Wastelands. But her new Protector, Logan McEntire--a boy she had fallen in love with a couple years back, but refused her--won't let her go into the wilderness alone. But what stops him is the Commander, and he plans to take down Rachel's plans.

For me, this book was very easy to get into. And I loved it instantly. Mostly because I love the idea of a YA book set in medieval times. But other than that, it was very enjoyable! The suspense from the first page kept me interested from the very get go, and I couldn't put it down!

The plot is definitely something different, but not different enough to where I actually want to call it original. But it's close. ;) I could picture every action-packed moment in my head easily and beautifully. There was not a dull moment in this book, and I wasn't expecting anything less than that.

Rachel is totally bad-ass. Sure, she has her stubborn moments, but it's understandable because she's damn determined to find her dad. I loved that she knows how to fight in a world where the women are always being protected. But she can very much protect herself, her father made sure of that. I think the only thing I didn't much like about her, is her hair. I've read about a lot of red-heads, and it's just getting tiring... :/ and most of them are pretty weak heroines. D: But that's the only thing I don't care for about Rachel.

As for Logan, he's totally a hero that I could fall in love with, and I did. <3 He's kick-ass, handsome, and a fighter. And he fought through hell for Rachel, even when he didn't think he loved her. And I admired that about him. And when he did come to terms with his love for her, it was sweet and just...ugh. <333 So tender.

Commander Chase is every bit of evil as it gets. I hated him, once he opened his mouth for the first time, I hated him. He was conniving, manipulative, and spiteful. And I hope he gets what he freakin' deserve in the next book. That's all I'll say about that. -_-

I'm glad the romance wasn't really rushed in this. And to be honest, there wasn't much romance anyway. There's a couple kisses in there, C.J. didn't really put any detail in there, which kind of was a downer. :c Nothing steamy or spicy, just plain. The action was too good for me to really think about the lack of romance in this really. So, I didn't care much for it. For once. Haha. ;3

I give this book five stars, because it deserves the hell out of them. I enjoyed this book a lot, and can't wait for the next one. Which it'll be longer since I read this two-month in advance. D: Damn... Also, a bunch of thank you's to HarperCollins and Edelweiss for approving me to read this digital ARC. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment