Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Book Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Rating: ★★★★
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 418
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Source: Bought
Buy: Barnes and Noble

"Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?"

First off. I'd just like to say that I reeeeally want to dye my hair blue now. I mean, even more so than I did before. I did have my bangs dyed blue, but now...as you can see...they're blonde lol. But you can thank Karou/Laini for that. ;)

This...masterpiece...has got to be one of the best books I've read this year. Absolutely gorgeous. The story line was definitely original, or at least original enough for me. I haven't read anything like it. It kept me flipping through the pages as if my life depended on it. No joke. I would have finished this within a couple days...but I wanted to savor it. I kept flipping back and rereading things, that's how good they were.

The scenery was also awesome. I could picture myself in the streets of Prague plain as day. It was so vivid. I think I'll add that to the places that I'd like to go to when I get older. :)

The characters were definitely well developed. I love the idea that Karou is an artist. I, too, like to draw. Nowhere near as much, or creative for that matter. So it was nice to actually have stuff in common with her. I really liked her personality too. It's rare that I find the lead female in books okay to deal with. But I really liked Karou, she's definitely stronger than most. And Akiva. Oh, Akiva. You melt my heart. <3 I love you so~ And also, I don't think I like Brimstone all that much. After he threw Karou out of his shop, as brutal as he was, I think that done me in on him. I mean, I get it. I really do. But he didn't have to be that damn rough about it. Sheesh. Cut Karou some slack. D:

The ending. It...killed me. I actually CRIED. Sweet Lawd have mercy on my soul, when everything came together, when all the puzzle pieces fit, I couldn't believe it to be honest. I was just as surprised as Karou. I could feel the emotion. It was truly beautiful.

This is the kind of book that would broaden your imagination. This one, is definitely on my top-ten...possibly even five...best books of 2011. :) Five out of five stars all the way! Can't wait for book two.

View all my reviews
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment