Monday, August 6, 2012

{Book Review} Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless
(Starcrossed, #2)
by Josephine Angelini

Published: May 29th 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover, 487 pages
Genre: YA Greek Mythology, Romance
Source: Bought at B&N.
Buy: Barnes and Noble | Amazon

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.
Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out--a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling "Starcrossed" delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.
Rating - 4 stars


Aahhh.. What to say... Well first off, I'm kinda disappointed in this sequel. I don't know why, it was just...*sigh* I don't even know. This is gonna be a short review lol. I don't know what to say. D: Also, slight spoilery ahead!

For one good thing; the plot totally intensified, that's for sure. Every time Helen would descend into the Underworld when she was asleep, it creeped me the hell out. Especially when she was surrounded by (I can't remember, so correct me if I'm wrong!) wooden needles, having to plunge one into her eyes to wake up. Yeah, she has to kill herself or be killed by whatever's in the Underworld to wake up. Intensely pain, yeah? Mhm. I felt really sorry for Helen, because she was going through such a hella tough time, and everybody was pissy with her--even her best friend Claire--and especially Jason it seemed. Ohohohooo... I'll get to him in a minute..

I know that I'm loving Orion. He's so sweet, and he's an awesome addition to the Starcrossed world. I really wish Josephine put a little more to Helen and Orion's relationship, because honestly, it looked like it was a love triangle, when there wasn't much going on between the two. That, is one this I was disappointed in, seeing as how much I liked Orion from the very get go. I know that I got insanely annoyed with Lucas, too... I mean, just how pissed can one person get, just because another person touched your knee? Well, Lucas exceeded that limit when Helen touched him for reassurance. The little prick. I get that he was pushing her away, but there's a limit for the other person too. I just wished Helen would have crossed that limit with her too. I would have paid to see that. Yeah....I didn't like Lucas too much in this one, he changed too fast and too drastically.

Another character that I absolutely wanted to cut in half was Jason. I guess he was so caught up in his stupid feelings for Claire that he had to be pissed at everyone, especially the one person trying to save the fuuuuuuckin' world. I know one part totally chapped my ass was when Helen took Claire flying with her, they didn't even leave the house, or the room as a matter-o-fact. And Jason came in raising hell, saying, "You could have dropped her!" I think Helen knows better than to drop Claire, or she wouldn't have done it. And when Claire said something on the subject of saving Helen's life over hers. And Jason said something like, "Well what makes you think Helen's life is any more important than yours?" If I was Claire, I would have slapped him so hard and into next weeks for saying something like that about my best friend. That's a shit thing to say, and Claire didn't even recognize it. :/

Also, Lucas and Helen's relationship confused me. They're cousins....and they still feel the same for each other in this book as they did in Starcrossed. Which is really...well...disgusting to me. I know there will probably be a way to change that, and make them be together, but at the moment it's just really weird and gross. I want Helen to be with Orion, because he's so much more better than Lucas is--and also not his cousin. But I know that won't happen in a million eons. :/ I was kind of okay with Lucas lashing out at Helen in one scene to push her away, but then it didn't make a damn because he still loves her. And Helen, him. o_e Awkwarrrrrd.

Anyway. This is my short rant/review on this book. xD I would give it three stars, but I liked Starcross too much to actually give the sequel to it a bad rating, and I liked the intense plot and Orion... :D I just hope the next one is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment