Sunday, April 8, 2012

{Review} EMBRACE by Jessica Shirvington

Embrace
by Jessica Shirvington
Release Date: March 6, 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks, Incorporated
Format: Hardback, 400pp
Age Range: 12 - 17 Years
Genre: YA Supernatural Romance
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters, #1
Source: Bought
Buy: Barnes and Noble | Amazon

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before.

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…

Look for the sequels ENTICED in September 2012 and EMBLAZE in March 2013!

This book, I will admit, wasn't the best book I've ever read. And it wasn't the worst book either. But damn, it was almost painful to get through without cringing or wanting to throw the book in acid. I say that, but it did get better about over halfway through it. Just a smidgen. And to be honest, I did really want to like this book. But it was just...MEH. This book was way too fast-paced and basically scattered everywhere.

Characters... I. Hated. Violet. She is whiny, weak, bitchy, and almost slutty when it comes to Lincoln and Phoenix. I did see a slight transformation between the beginning and end of the book. But I didn't really care lol. It was like the transformation did shit to her attitude. So that's all I'm gonna say on her. Bleh. And her friend Steph was just the same way. -_-

I felt sorry for Lincoln more than anything. I don't think he deserved to be treated as badly as Violet treated him. When all he did was protect her and watch over her without telling her the details. I mean, what's the point in getting mad and shit when you're gonna find out sooner or later? Sooner rather than later. That's the point of "coming of age" at the age of seventeen. *head/desk* If it were me; granted, I'd be a bit upset, but I would think it was for the better of it. Violet just pitched an ungodly fit and didn't talk to Lincoln for a few weeks. WTF. I liked Lincoln better than anybody in this book. I liked Griffin, though. It was like he didn't care about the bullshit that went on between Lincoln and Violet. And I felt automatically satisfied when he hit her like... umpteenth times.

Phoenix. *Sigh* I liked him...then I didn't like him. It was almost like his and Violet's relationship was based on sex. Which they did have. I mean it's quite obvious that they're going to do it from the point when Phoenix put his hands all over her in Hades. (Which is a restaurant/club.) By the end of the book though, I didn't like him. For all the right and wrong reasons I guess. He lied way more than Lincoln, that's a fact that you'll read at the end. And he's snarky and cocky with his devil-may-care attitude. So much so that it was just annoying to the point to where I just wanted to shove a metal pole up his ass and call it a day.

I think the one of the reasons why I didn't like this book all that much was because it was focused around...well...lust. And angels. Ohohohooo, let's not forget the angel part. I've read way too many angel books, and this is just done it in for me for them. Unless the book actually sounds good. Though it wasn't the same...plot...that angel-based YA books have. I don't think I've read a book where the angel-human hybrid had to go through a few tests in order to become a Grigori. Which was slightly different than most YA lits. So I will give it credit on that.

Also, another reasons why I didn't like it; this happened in the beginning. The Christian in be and my Southern ways...automatically didn't like this. I mean, I don't see how a Christian person could like it. Here's the quote in Violet's POV:

How could I believe in God? What kind of bastard would leave me motherless the moment I was born? Would leave me alone in a room with a sicko who would mess with my mind forever? And that's just me; don't even get me started on the rest of the world. God? He's for the very lost to question and the very found to praise.


Okay, don't get me wrong. I think I get an idea how hard it would be to go motherless and almost get raped and whatnot. And I apologize if I offended anyone how there... But holy shit. I just wonder if Violet even took a minute to think...well maybe that wasn't God's doing. Maybe it just happened out of coincidence. I know it seems kind of heartless of me. But it's just...I'm Christian, and I thought I would say something about it.

I hate giving a book a bad rating, and a review to go with it. x_x But it did get better through the middle/end. Just not enough for me to actually give it four or five stars. Much less three. But, I read what the next book is about, and I think I might give it a try. Only if I can get passed the urge to strangle Violet.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment