Thursday, October 25, 2012

{Review} Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess
(The Arcana Chronicles, #1)
by Kresley Cole

Released: October 2nd 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover, 384 pages
Genre: Post-Apocalyptic Romance
Source: Bought at Walmart.
Buy: Barnes and Noble | Amazon

She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can’t do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side…

Rating: 5 stars


Let me just start off by saying that starting a young adult series was one of the best ideas that Kresley Cole could've made. This book was ah-may-zingggg. <3 And I've read most of her IAD books, and I expected nothing less of her work. :D She is truly a talented writer!

Also, minor spoilers ahead!

The plot was intense and perfect. Evangeline "Evie" Greene starts to see gruesome hallucinations that actually turn out to be visions of the future. Basically, the apocalypse happens and she's left with her mother and no one else, until Jackson Deveaux comes along. They set out to try and find Evie's grandmother in North Carolina (is that ironic that I live there?), with intense events happening along the way. Meaning zombies

I seriously think the only thing keeping be from giving this book three or four stars is the plot idea, too. And plus....KRESLEY. COLE. <3 Also, the romance--if you even want to call it that (I'll get to that in a minute)--was really spicy. o_o It was borderline adult, if you ask me lol. Some parts were. But, I kind of figured that'd happen since it's KC. x3

The books actually starts out like Evie is telling a story to a weird, creepy man. And then it just intensified from there--I don't want to give too much way for those who haven't read it! The elements I got out of the book were creepy, gruesome, intense, and spicy. There's these scary zombie-like creatures called Bagmen that has a thirst for human flesh and water. Then there's cannibals, and then there's the militia. All set out to find and kill people, to put it in a nutshell. ;P

Evie is your typical semi-weak YA heroine, but she has her flaws and perks. Seeing as how she sees these horrifying visions--and might I add that the good ole fashion Reaper is in them. Scythe and all. She gets nosebleeds from them as well, and she's in some pain. So she's suffering through a lot. I feel sorry for her most of all; I was beginning to dislike her--she whines a pretty good bit, and she thinks she's the shit (to me she does)--but then I began to sympathize her over anything I felt. I would seriously hate to be her, seeing as how she's stuck with Jackass-Jack on their trip.

And I think Jack is one hero that I truly despise. But I have a feeling that I'll be warming up to him in the second book involuntary. I admit, he's really hot with his Cajun accent, but I have my limits. And he crossed them over the edge. He blatantly admitted that he was basically helping Evie get to NC just to get in her pants. When she asked him about it, he said that the idea had crossed his mind. Said that she was his only option since there weren't hardly anymore girls around. Harsh, right? Even though Jack almost succeeded in getting into her pants, if I had been Evie, I would've dumped his ass with those zombie-things in a nano-second.

And then of course another girl comes along that has everyfuckingthing in common with Jack. For any guys reading this: It is not a fucking good idea to try to make girls jealous to try to admit their feelings to you. It only repels us away all the more. *clears throat* And Evie proved that too. I had a hard-ass time trying not to scream and throw the book at the wall because of Jack's sexual needs and innuendos. Seriously... Hell reigns down from the sky, and all you can think about is sex...



As for the other characters, let me simplify. Selena is a manipulative bitch. I miss Mel. Brandon was okay, but all he wanted Evie for was for sex also. Jackson's gang didn't really give much to go on, so I don't much know how to react lmao. And Arthur creeped. me. out. *shiver* I hope hope hope there's new characters in the books to come. c:

All in all, this was a fantastic book! I seriously can't wait to get my hands on the second books. KC is one of my favorite authors, and she never disappoints. <3 And with the cliffhanger she left in Poison Princess, I can already tell this is going to be a long wait. D: I highly recommend this book if you like apocalyptic genres. :3 And sexual-tension-filled-YA-couples. * frustrated sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment