Friday, March 16, 2012

THE GODDESS TEST by Aimee Carter {Book Review}

Publication Date: April 19, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Paperback, 304pp
Age Range: 14 - 17 Years
Series: Goddess Test Series, #1
Genre: YA Fantasy & Romance
Source: Bought at B&N.
Buy: Barnes and Noble | Amazon



It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall. 
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.


Slight spoilery ahead.

As this book is a debut and all, I thought this was a pretty neat book. The first reason being because it's Greek mythology based. Anyone who knows me (or has read my interests on my profile) knows that I love Greek mythology. <3 asdfghjkl;

The second reason being the plot. It's definitely a new take on GM for YA books. And it got even neater when the seven deadly sins got involved. Either it was a dumb moment for me, or I just really didn't see it coming, because I didn't. >_< It should have been obvious for me, considering every time someone brought up the tests Kate had to pass, there was always the seven tests, not just this one test. So, a bunch of hints and I still didn't get it. xD It was a nice..."surprise" when it was mentioned.

Speaking of the deadly sins, I thought that Henry and Kate went a bit too fast. ._. Especially for a debut short, first book out of the series. Though, for that one part, I guess it's okay since they were drugged. Though it's still like....whutjusthappened, it went by so fast. I almost didn't have time to comprehend what was going on. xD But I feel like I should've saw it coming, because hardly anything was happening between the two romantically, and then...BAM. THEY DUN FUCKED.
Photobucket
I do believe that was one thing I didn't really like about this book.

Considering this being a short book, it had a pretty good bit in there happening. Not a lot, but not a little either. It was preh-ty cool to give God/Goddess names to everyone in the book. (Well, almost. I guess. Excluding Kate.) Henry as Hades was perfect, I thought. Though, it being Hades, he's a lot more...kinder? Henry's behavior is something I would expect Zeus to have; I picture Hades to be merciless and cold-hearted and mean. But I look over it because they're "brothers." ...Or maybe I just picture Greek gods to be that uptight and stuff. o_o

For the characters: I did not like Kate that much. I'm falling for Henry, but not quite there yet. (Need the second book for that too happen *IF*) I despised Ella.
And Callipoe(or Cantaloupe as I'd like to call her).... Just, go away, please. I've had enough of you jealous love-crazed girls.
Photobucket
I was alright with Walter, Dylan, Ava, Theo, Xander, Irene, and Sofia. Meaning, they weren't talked about enough to really like or dislike them. And I feel really sorry for James. :/

All in all, it was a good read, pretty enjoyable since it's GM. <3 Four out of five stars, just because it was a bit too fast-paced. Definitely need the second one, though.


 Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment