Saturday, December 10, 2011

ANGEL BURN by L.A. Weatherly {Book Review}

Rating: ★★★★
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication date: May 24, 2011
Format: Hardback, 464pp
Age range: Young Adult
Source: Bought
Buy: Barnes and Noble | Amazon

Willow knows she’s different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people’s dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces, and that he’s one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil. In the first book in an action-packed, romantic trilogy, L..A. Weatherly sends readers on a thrill-ride of a road trip - and depicts the human race at the brink of a future as catastrophic as it is deceptively beautiful.

They’re out for your soul . . . and they don’t have heaven in mind.

When I first picked up this book, I knew it was about angels. I thought it was about loving angels. Caring angels. The kind of angels that you basically rely on. But I was way off. This book holds a new twist of the very definition of angels. These feed off human energy, making their victim tired and weak and loony when they touch them.

The are two reasons why I was a bit reluctant to continue reading this. First, angels in my opinion aren't like that. Considering that I'm a Christian, I like to think that angels are good-natured. And the second there were "Angel Killers." People that are trained to see angels in their angelic form instead of their human one. The AKs kill the angels. And I was hoping for a more...drastic reason for them to kill angels. Them just feeding off humans and leaving them crazier than a shit-house rat seemed like a weak reason for them to actually kill them. I kept reading because I wanted to know if there was something else to the killing of angels.

Another reason why I kept reading; the romance. It has to be the second book that I've read that the main hero and heroine didn't kiss until over halfway towards the end. The tension kept me reading, of course. And when they did finally give in, it was amazing. Emotion seemed to leap off the page. I loved it.

Alex has to be my favorite character. Becaaaause, he's sexy. Everything about him is sexy. I knoooow that I shouldn't just base characters off their looks. But...seriously. Come on. Who wouldn't when you read this bit:

"I jumped as the bathroom door opened. Alex came back into the bedroom wearing a pair of navy-blue sweatpants, his dark hair looking towel-dried. He dropped his clothes on the dresser and went over to his bag, while I tried not to stare at the sight of him with his shirt off -- the toned muscles on his stomach, chest, and arms; the smoothness of his skin, still slightly damp from the shower. With a sideways glance, I took in the faint line of dark hair that crept down from his navel, watched his tanned shoulders moved as he rummaged in in the bag and pulled out a T-shirt. There was a tattoo on his left bicep -- a black AK in gothic lettering."


Yeah.

Anyway... He's very passionate towards Willow. Tender, even. I like that in a guy. Since I'm a passionate person as well, I can relate to his feelings.

Willow seems like a decent role for the heroine. You can tell at the end when she takes control over herself and fights for the ones she loves. I like her. So that's all I'm going to say before I actually think about her flaws (if any), and find a way to dislike her. Like I usually do with lead females.

So this was an awesome book. I'm definitely going to pick the next one up, Angel Fire. And to be honest, I like the UK cover for this better than the US one. I have no idea why. I just do. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment