Monday, October 24, 2011

Book Review: Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Rating★★★
Release Date: November 15, 2010
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Paperback
Pages: 336
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Source: Bought
Buy: Barnes and Noble

What would you do if the stories of your childhood suddenly began coming to life? Teagan Wylltson’s best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures—goblins, shapeshifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty—are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn’t worried. Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives, with his killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. Either he’s crazy or he’s been haunting Abby’s dreams, because he’s talking about goblins, too . . . and about being born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby’s right. The goblins are coming.

First off, I feel like I just read a spin-off series of an unknown character in Julie Kagawa's The Iron Fey series. I mean, it's got it's own mythology and story line. Which I loved. It has Celtic and Irish mythology mixed into fairy tales. That...makes me really happy. I love the Irish culture, and I've had a book in mind that's set in Ireland for a long time now. :3 So that makes me happy~

There wasn't that much romance in it, when there was, it was at least a sentence or two. I've read enough of YA (and some adult) romances that it's just a daily usual thing for me. I can't really get into a book unless it has some romance in it, but if it's a good story line, sure I'll get through it lol. The only thing that kept me going in this one is the Irish and Celtic mythology. And Finn Mac Cumhaill. By the way, Finn is based on Fionn mac Cumhaill. I think he's an actual person. Kersten has him down to the tee. Blond hair and all. And yes, Finn is actually Fionn. He's mentioned. Here's a link to Wikipedia about Fionn. I'm not sure how much is true and all. But it's cool in my opinion. :)

About the characters; Teagan was an okay heroine, I just...don't know what to make of her just yet. I loved Finn. He was a sweetheart and he's funny. :) I don't really like or hate Aiden, Teagan's little brother. He's a 5-year-old genius. I mean the stuff he says, it's like he's waaay older than his actual age.

All in all, this was a cute read. I gave it three out of five stars because of what I said in the first paragraph. Hope I don't get blasted for that. D: But I do want to read the next book. :)

View all my reviews

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment